ALMOND JOY BUNT CAKE
8 ounces cream cheese (about 1 cup), softened
2 egg whites
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 box white cake mix
1 cup water
1 t. coconut Extract
1 C. shredded coconut
3/4 C. chopped raw almonds (divided)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a bunt pan.
2. In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, egg whites and vegetable oil. Using a hand mixer, beat the ingredients until combined and creamy.
3. Add the cake mix, water and coconut extract and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the coconut and 1/2 cup of the almonds and mix until combined.
5. Pour the batter into the bunt pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven, let cool for about 10-15 minutes. Invert the the bunt cake onto a cooling rack.
6. While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate ganache. (recipe below)
7. When the cake is cooling, top with the ganache and additional 1/4 cup chopped almonds.
For the Ganache:
12 oz. dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
3 T. corn syrup
6 oz. heavy cream
1 t. vanilla
1. In a sauce pan over medium heat, bring the cream and corn syrup to a simmer.
2. Add the chocolate, remove from the heat and stir until the chocolate melts and the sauce comes together. Stir in the vanilla.
3. Allow to cool for about 15-20 minutes before pouring over the cake.