So here ya go Brady Shmady...love you and miss you!
Our family tradition is to decorate sugar cookies on Christmas Eve; always decorating a few special cookies for Santa! he he he
SUGAR COOKIE CUT OUTS
(Recipe adapted for Mindika Moments from Betty Crocker)
½ C. (1 stick) butter, softened
½ C. sour cream
1 t. vanilla
3 ½ - 4 C. flour (start with 3 ½ C. then you can add more, little by little, until a stiff dough forms)*
½ t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cream the butter and sugar, then add the egg and beat until fluffy.
3. Add sour cream and vanilla and blend well.
4. Sift together (or mix) flour, soda, and salt and gradually add to creamed mixture. At this point you may need to add a little flour. *
5. Roll out cookies and cut with cookie cutters. Place on an un-greased cookie sheet. When you have a sheet full of cookies, place in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes.**
6. Bake for 7-12 minutes depending on the size of your cutouts and the temp or your oven.***
7. When cool you can frost with your choice of frosting. I use my Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting, recipe found HERE.
ENJOY! and Merry Christmas to all!
*Flour amount can vary based on the altitude and the moisture in the air. High altitudes and dryer climates usually need less flour, but lower altitudes and moister climates need more.
**This step can be skipped but chilling your dough will help your cut out shapes stay in tacked through the baking process. I highly recommend this step if you are baking more detailed cut outs for Christmas, holidays etc…
***Your baking time will vary based on the size of your cut outs. Small 2” in cut outs usually only need about 7-8 minutes, where a larger 3-4” cut out may take up to 12 minutes. I would recommend setting the timer for about 7 minutes and watch carefully. Leave larger cookies in until they start to slightly brown around the edges.