ROASTED BEET SALAD WITH SWEET CITRUS DRESSING
For the dressing/marinade:
½ C. orange juice
½ C. lemon juice
1 T. lemon zest
1 T. orange zest
2 T. red wine vinegar
2 t. Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic; minced
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
½ t. pepper
1 C. olive oil
1. Place all the ingredients, except the olive oil, into a blender. Bend for a couple minutes to combine.
2. With the blender on medium speed, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until it’s well emulsified.
3. You will have about 2 ½ C. of dressing. Set 1 ¼ cups of the dressing aside for the chicken marinade. Refrigerate the rest to use with the salad.
For the Chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 ¼ C. of the dressing
1. Place the chicken in a Ziploc bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for about 4 to 6 hours.
2. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you plan to grill.
3. Grill the chicken for about 6 minutes per side, or the time needed to cook the chicken through, depending on the heat and temperature of your grill.
4. After you take the chicken off the grill, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice the chicken on a bias to create long strips for the salad.
For the salad:
8 C. spring salad mix
6 small beets or 3 large beets
2 T. olive oil
salt & pepper
1 large ripe avocado (or 2 small); diced or sliced
½ red onion; sliced in thin bite sized strips
1 pink grapefruit; segmented*
2 large oranges; segmented*
6 oz. Gorgonzola (blue cheese), crumbled (you could also use feta or goat cheese)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash the beets. Cut off the tops and bottoms and remove the thick outer skin. Cut into bite sized cubes about ½ inch. Place on a baking sheet covered with tin foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
3. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the beets are fork tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
5. Assemble the salad ingredients into 4 portions, onto large plates including; salad mix, beets, avocado, red onion, grapefruit, orange, blue cheese, and chicken. Top with dressing and serve immediately.