CARAMEL APPLE ICE CREAM
For the Caramel Apple Sauce:
1 C. brown sugar
3 T. flour
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 1/2 C. apple juice
2 T. lemon juice
2 large Granny Smith Apples, diced
1/4 C. butter
1. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large saucepan.
2. Stir in the cider, lemon juice and apples. Cook over med heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
3. Boil for about 6 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in butter.
4. Take off the heat and allow to chill for at least 1 hour. (This can be made ahead of time and chilled in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.)
For the ice cream:
¾ C. brown sugar
½ t. salt
1 ¾ C. whole milk (or half & half)
2 eggs, beaten
1 ½ C. whipping cream
1 T. pure vanilla extract
1 small jar caramel ice cream topping
1. Combine the sugar, salt and milk in a large sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture almost boils. Reduce heat to low.
2. Take 1 cup of the milk and very slowly drizzle it into the beaten eggs, whisking vigorously as you pour. (This is called tempering your eggs.)
3. Then take the egg mixture and slowly drizzle it into the rest of the hot milk mixture, whisking vigorously as you pour.
4. Continue to cook the milk and eggs over low heat, stirring constantly until it slightly thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (If you feel like there are some lumps in the mixture, no worries. Put the mixture through a fine sieve to remove any lumps. This can happen if some of the egg doesn’t incorporate and scrabbles slightly. This only works if there are just a few small lumps. If the mixture is really lumpy, it probably didn’t thicken much and you probably need to start over.)
6. After 1 hour combine the chilled mixture, the whipping cream, vanilla and the caramel apple sauce. Whisk until everything is well incorporated.
7. Pour into the ice cream maker and follow manufactures instructions.
8. When the ice cream comes out of the ice cream maker, transfer to a large plastic storage container.
9. Pour the caramel ice cream topping on the top. Take a knife or spoon and swirl the caramel throughout the soft ice cream. Be sure to just swirl and not mix it in completely.
10. Allow the ice cream to set up in the freezer for about 4 hours or overnight.
11. This recipe make about 2 – 2 ¼ Quarts of ice cream.