I can't wait until little "r" is old enough to understand, so we can add these fun cookies to our Easter tradition. I hope you all enjoy and I hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend!
EASTER MAGIC COOKIES
Ingredients and tools:
1 C. whole walnuts or pecans (nut of choice)
1 t. vinegar
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 zip-lock bag
rolling pin or meat tenderizer (to crush the nuts)
Cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Put all the nuts into the zip-lock bag and have the children beat with the meat tenderizer to crush them.
Explain that after Jesus' arrest, he was beaten by Roman soldiers. Read John 19:1-3.
3. Let each child smell the vinegar. Pour 1 teaspoon vinegar into the mixing bowl.
Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross he was given vinegar to drink. Read John 19:28-30
4. Add the egg whites to the vinegar.
Tell the children that eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave his life so that we could be resurrected and have eternal life. Read John 10:10-11
5. Sprinkle a little salt into your hand. Let the children touch it and taste it. Then add a little to the bowl.
Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers during his crucifixion. Read Luke 23:27
Ask the children if any of the ingredients seem very appetizing at this point?
6. Add 1 Cup sugar.
Explain that the sweetest thing about Easter is that Jesus died because he loved us so much. Read Psalm 34:8, John 3:16
7. Beat all the ingredients with a mixer on high for 12-15 minutes until stiff peaks form.
Explain that the color white represents the purity. And that we can be pure because of the sacrifice Jesus made for us. Read Isaiah 1:18
8. Fold in the crushed nuts, then drop the dough by teaspoon fulls, about 2 inches apart, onto a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper or wax paper.
Explain that each mound of dough represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was laid. Read Matt 27:57-60
9. Put the cookie sheet into the oven, close the door and turn the oven off.
Have the children help you tape the oven closed, to seal the door. Explain that Jesus' tomb was sealed. Read Matt 27:65-66
10. Leave the cookies in the oven overnight.
Explain to the children that it may seem sad or hard to leave the cookies int he oven overnight, but that's how Jesus' followers felt when his tomb was sealed. Read John 16:20,22
11. Wake the next morning before the children and remove the tape and open the oven door.