That being said...there are those occasional brilliant moments when my experimentation's, even under pressure, actually work and a new favorite recipe is born. This is one of those recipes.
I was asked to bring muffins to our church activity last Saturday and I had an idea to create a savory/sweet breakfast muffin to satisfy any variety of morning cravings. On my first try the Maple Sausage Cheddar Breakfast Muffin's were born. I hope you like them as much as we did. They're great for brunch, or on the go breakfasts. I even made a batch to freeze, so on those crazy mornings when my husband is running late for work, he can grab a couple, nuke them and eat on the road.
MAPLE SAUSAGE CHEDDAR BREAKFAST MUFFINS
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
¼ C. sugar
¼ C. maple syrup
1 egg; beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese; divided
1/2 lb. ground pork sausage; cooked*
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. In a smaller bowl combine the maple syrup, beaten egg, milk and oil. Mix well.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture stirring lightly until moistened, but do not over mix. The batter should be lumpy.
5. Fold in 1 cup of the cheese and the sausage.
6. Pour the batter into paper lined muffin tins, filling about ¾ full.
7. Top each muffin with additional cheese.
8. Bake for 8-20 minutes.
9. Makes 18-24 muffins.
*The sausage in this recipe could also be substituted with bacon if you prefer.