BERRY LEMON SQUARES
(Recipe adapted from Sunset Cookbook)
2 ¼ C. flour
½ C. powdered sugar
1 C. butter (slightly softened)
4 large eggs
1 C. sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1/3 C. lemon juice
½ t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
1 ½ C. blueberries, fresh or frozen (or raspberries)
1. In a food processor or a bowl, whirl or stir the flour and powdered sugar until blended. Add the butter and whirl or rub in with your fingers until the dough holds together when squeezed. Press evenly over the bottom of a 9x14 pan.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed or a whisk, beat eggs to blend with sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, baking powder, and salt. Gently stir in blueberries or raspberries.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the pan over warm crust. Return to the oven and bake until filling no longer jiggles when the pan is gently shaken, about 25-35 minutes.
5. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
6. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes for eating. You can eat them warm or cooled.
7. Store in the refrigerator.