Anyway, last week was this season opening and she talked about her new found love of Asparagus. She said she eats it while watching movies, instead of buttered popcorn. The visual of that just made me laugh...but not a bad idea. Well I happen to love love love asparagus as well. My siblings and I all love asparagus. We grew up fighting over it at the dinner table. While most kids were arguing over who got the bigger dessert portion, we fought over the even distribution of asparagus spears. I was in heaven when I finally lived on my own, and could eat as much as I wanted!
Unfortunately I now find myself having to share once again. While my husband isn't a big fan...little "r" can eat her weight in asparagus. A girl after my own heart! She's one little person I don't mind sharing with though.
This is one of my new favorite asparagus preparations. Enjoy!
LEMON ROASTED ASPARAGUS
1 bundle asparagus spears, washed with the woody ends removed*
zest of 1 lemon
juice of half a lemon
1 or 2 cloves garlic
2 T. Parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
Pam cooking spray (or olive oil, if you're not concerned with calories)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with Pam cooking spray (or olive oil).
2. Lay the asparagus spears on the baking sheet in a single layer. Spray with cooking spray (or olive oil).
2. Sprinkle with lemon zest, and drizzle the lemon juice on top.
3. Using a fine grater, grate the garlic over top. If you don't have a fine grater, just mince the garlic really well and sprinkle on top.
4. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and salt & pepper.
5. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the spears. (Be sure and preheat the oven. Do not put the veggies in the oven until it's come up to temperature.)