Now I have to say...I love the 60's! I could live in a world where it was in the 60's year round. But here's the thing. I'm afraid! I'm afraid that winter has hit the snooze button one too many times this year and is only getting a really late start. It could either strike with a vengeance come December or stay too late at the party. Meaning...we will end up with a snowy May and June. I expect snow in November, I can deal with snow in November. I will be angry with snow in May or June. So winter be warned! Next time that alarm goes off, you better get your butt out of bed!
Besides, it's much more fun to make soup on a cold day!
HAM & BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
4-6 C. fresh broccoli, steamed and chopped
2 C. carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 C. celery, diced
2 C. thick ham, cubed or diced (you could also use bacon)
½ C. butter (1 stick)
½ C. flour
3 C. chicken stock
4 C. half & half (you could also use heavy cream or evaporated milk)
4 C. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 C. parmesan cheese, grated
1 T. sugar
2 T. hot sauce
2 t. salt, or to taste
pepper to taste
1. In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt 1 stick of butter. Add the carrots, onion, celery and ham. Sauté until the veggies become tender.
2. Add ½ C. flour and stir until well incorporated. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Turn up the heat to medium high and add the chicken stock and half & half. Bring to a simmer and cook until the soup begins to thicken.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add the cooked broccoli, cheeses, sugar, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Allow cheese to melt and cook for 5-10 minutes or until ingredients are incorporated.
5. Serve with crusty bread or croutons