MINDI'S FIVE BEAN CHILI
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3 stocks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic minced
salt & pepper
2-3 T. chili powder (to desired taste)
1 t. celery salt
3 t. cumin
2 bay leaves
1 can black beans, drained but not rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained but not rinsed
1 can chili beans, include juice
1 can white navy beans, drained but not rinsed
1 can pinto beans, drained but not rinsed
3 cans diced tomatoes (I use the western family brand green chili & cilantro)
1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce
3 T. lime juice
1 T. sugar
1. Sauté' the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery in a large stock pot until vegetables are translucent.
2. Add beef to the pan and cook until meat is completely done adding the salt & pepper, chili powder, celery salt, cumin, and bay leaves.
3. Add the can beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, lime juice & sugar. Bring to a boil.
4. Taste and adjust spice as necessary.
5. Simmer for at least an hour, allowing the flavors to emulsify. (You can allow simmering for 3-4 hours.)
If Using a Crock-Pot
Pour beef and vegetable mixture, after step 2, into large crock-pot. Add all other ingredients and cook on low for 4-6 hours.