As a bonus...the peppermint is to celebrate the opening of the Christmas Season, and the pink is a little nod to the baby girl arriving at our house soon!
2 egg whites
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 box white cake mix (I find this recipe works best if you use a name brand cake mix i.e Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker; not a generic brand)
1 cup water
2 t. peppermint extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 12 count muffin tins with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, egg whites and vegetable oil. Using a hand or stand mixer, beat the ingredients until combined and creamy.
3. Add the cake mix, water and peppermint and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly in the tin then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack.
6. When cool, frost with vanilla bean frosting (recipe below), and sprinkle the remaining crushed candy canes on top.
VANILLA BEAN FROSTING
1/2 C. butter softened (1 stick)
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/4 + C. milk
1-2 t. vanilla bean paste**
1. In a mixing bowl combine the butter, vanilla bean paste and powdered sugar. Mix, starting slow, until somewhat combined.
2. Start by adding 1/4 C. milk and mix. Slowly add more milk, one or a tablespoons at a time, until the frosting reaches your desired consistency*.
*For cupcakes and cake you want the frosting to be a little thicker, so it holds it's shape. If you are using the frosting recipe for cookies, Cinnamon rolls etc...you may want the frosting a little thinner.