(Adapted from Estella Bellows recipe)
2 T. olive oil
14 oz. Andouille Sausage; sliced
14 oz. Smoked Sausage; sliced
½ onion; diced
2 stocks celery; diced
1 red bell pepper; diced
1 green bell pepper; diced
1 or 2 jalapenos; diced
3/4 t. Chili Powder
1/4 t. Thyme
1/4 t. Cayenne Pepper
1 t. Tony Cachere’s Creole seasoning
1 T. dried parsley flakes
1/4 t. Black Pepper
1/4 t. Salt
2 1/4 c. Uncooked white rice (regular rice, not instant)
2 C. Beef stock
1 (10-14 oz.) can Spicy or Zesty Jalapeño diced tomatoes
1. In a large Dutch oven or frying pan, sauté sausages in the olive oil on Medium High heat, until brown.
2. Add the onion, celery, jalapeño(s), and bell peppers. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add Chili powder, thyme, cayenne, creole seasoning, parsley, salt and black pepper. Mix well.
4. If you are cooking in a Dutch oven, do nothing. But if you were cooking a large frying pan, transfer everything to a large stove top/oven safe pot, including as much of the juices as possible.
5. Add uncooked rice, and stir well to cover rice with seasonings.
6. Add the beef stock and tomatoes. Stir well.
7. Cook covered on the stove top for one hour on Low heat. DO NOT REMOVE LID! About ten minutes before the hour is up, preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
8. Place the pot in the oven at 300* for one additional hour. DO NOT REMOVE LID until the cooking time is up.
9. Serves 6-8 people.