This is a new favorite salad. It makes me excited for summer and fresh basil from the garden. I love pesto! This has a unique twist though, the spinach really mellows it out a little. Then the ricotta comes in for the creamy, cheesy goodness. It was so flavorful. Next time I will probably add some grilled chicken and make it a meal.
I hope you enjoy!
Coming later this week...
Roasted Asparagus Ravioli or Roasted Asparagus Pasta
How to boil a perfect egg...for Easter eggs or for my yummy egg salad sandwiches
And a Friday Favorite with an awesome new blog I found.
SPINACH PESTO & RICOTTA PASTA SALAD
(Recipe adapted from Cuisine at Home)
For the Pesto:
1 C. fresh spinach leaves, packed
1 C. fresh basil leaves, packed
Zest of 1 lemon
2 T. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
½ C. pine nuts
¼ t. red pepper flakes
salt & pepper
For the tomatoes:
1 C. Roma tomatoes, diced
1 T. white wine vinegar
1 T. olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1 lb. pasta of choice (rottelli, farfali, shells etc…)
1 C. ricotta cheese
1. In a food processor or blender, combine all the ingredients for the pesto and puree to a paste-like consistency. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the tomatoes. Stir to combine and set aside.
3. Cook the pasts to aldente; according to package instructions. Drain, rinse and pour into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add to the bowl, the ricotta cheese, and pesto. Stir to combine.
5. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 30 plus minutes.
6. Serve, topping with tomatoes.