3 medium to large russet potatoes (6 small potatoes); peeled & cubed
2 T. melted butter
¼ - ½ C. milk
½ C. sour cream
1 C. frozen pea’s; defrosted
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion; diced
salt & pepper
2 T. flour
1 (14-16 oz.) can tomato sauce
½ C. half & half (or whole milk)
1 T. sugar
1 ½ C. cut green beans (canned, frozen or fresh)
2 -3 C. cheddar cheese; grated
1. Place the prepared potatoes in a large stock pot. Fill the pot with water to cover 1 inch above the potatoes. Add salt to the water about 1-2 tablespoons, so the water tastes salty.
2. Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender then drain.
3. To the potatoes add the butter, milk, and sour cream. Mash to desired consistency. (You may need to add more milk until the potatoes are as smooth as you like them.)
4. Stir in the peas and set aside.
5. In a large skilled brown the beef, seasoning with salt and pepper. When the beef is about half way cooked, add the onion and continue to cook until the beef is done and the onions are translucent.
6. Stir in the flour until well incorporated.
7. Add the tomato sauce and half and half. Bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the sauce starts to slightly thicken.
8. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
9. Stir in the green beans.
10. Pour the tomato and beef mixture into a 2 qt. casserole dish.
11. Top with the pea potatoes. Be sure to cover the entire top leaving no visible beef sauce.
12. Top with cheddar cheese.
13. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until cheese is melted.