JAMAICAN JERK CHICKEN PIZZA
(Recipe from California Pizza Kitchen)
Recipe makes 3 (9-inch) pizzas
Jerk Chicken Pieces
1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons jerk seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon cold water
1/2 teaspoon Wondra Flour
1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
3/4 teaspoon jerk seasoning
For the Pizza
8 ounces pizza dough (I use this recipe for pizza dough.)
1/2 tablespoon Caribbean Sauce
1 cup mozzarella
1/4 cup roasted red and yellow peppers
1/4 cup sliced yellow onions
1/4 cup crispy bacon
13 to 15 pieces Jerk Chicken (3/4-inch)
Sprinkling of additional mozzarella
1 tablespoon chopped green scallions
To make Jerk Chicken:
Preheat grill to 450 degrees F.
1. In a clean mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the Jerk seasoning and Cayenne pepper and set aside.
2. Trim all fat from chicken breasts. Line a cutting board with plastic wrap and place chicken breasts skin side up on the plastic wrapped cutting board. Cover chicken breasts with an additional layer of plastic wrap.
3. Use a mallet to pound the thick side of the breast to 1/2-inch. The breasts should be 1/2-inch thick. DO NOT OVER-POUND.
4. Coat chicken breasts with olive oil in mixing bowl. Place oil-coated chicken breasts on a sheet pan with skin side up.
5. Using your fingers, sprinkle half of the jerk seasoning and cayenne pepper mix over one side of the breasts. Turn breast over and with your fingers sprinkle the remaining of jerk seasoning and cayenne pepper mix over the other side of all breasts.
6. Place the seasoned side of the breasts on a 450 degree F grill. Grill at a diagonal to the vertical grooves. After 2 minutes rotate the breasts 45 degrees to produce diamond shaped grill marks. Continue grilling this same side for approximately 2 minutes longer (or until the outer edges begin to turn from pink to white and opaque). Turn the breasts over and grill for approximately 2 minutes. Rotate the breasts 45 degrees and grill for about 2 minutes more. The breasts must reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
7. Transfer the chicken breasts to a sheet pan in one well-spaced layer. Refrigerate immediately and chill to 40 degrees F.
8. Cut breasts into 3/4-inch pieces.
To make Caribbean Sauce:
1. Add water to a mixing bowl. Slowly sprinkle flour into water while whisking at the same time. Break up any clumps.
2. Add sweet chili sauce and jerk seasoning to flour mixture. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add sauce to a non-stick saute pan and cook over high flame for approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Stir continuously.
4. When sauce is thickened transfer to a container and store at room temperature.
To make the pizza:
1. Use a spoon to spread the Caribbean sauce to within an inch of the outer edge of a stretched pizza dough.
2. Distribute ingredients to within 1/2-inch of the outer edge of the pizza.
3. Distribute mozzarella over the Caribbean sauce.
4. Distribute roasted peppers over the mozzarella.
5. Distribute onions over peppers.
6. Distribute bacon over the onions.
7. Distribute Jerk Chicken over the bacon.
8. Sprinkle additional mozzarella over the entire pizza.
9. Cook the pizza at 500 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until crust is crispy and cheese is melted. (or follow your pizza crust recipe cooking instructions.)
10. Garnish with scallions after cooking.