Then when I was 12 we moved to Germany, and I discovered that everyone in Germany had these huge fluffy down comforters. That's when I became converted. Now on cold nights when I snuggle underneath my very own fluffy down comforter, I think of 'The Sound of Music' and These are a few of my favorite things...always runs through my head.
...and just like Maria, I love "snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes", so even though I'm not quite sure I'm ready...bring on the snow today.
A few of my other favorite "Comfort" things on a cold day...mushrooms, pasta, chicken, cheese and see recipe below.
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 ½ cup chicken, cut into ½ inch pieces (1 large or 2 small breast)
2 cup cooked spaghetti, or pasta of choice
2 C. mushrooms, sliced
1 C. grated cheddar cheese
1 C. Panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large skilled heat 2 t. oil. Add the chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook until juices run clear.
3. Just before the chicken is done cooking, add the mushrooms and sauté until they release their juices.
4. Add ¼ C. butter and melt with chicken and mushrooms over low heat. Add the Flour and stir for 1 minute to form a roux.
5. Gradually add the milk and broth. Whisk until smooth.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until thickened.
7. Add the cheese, stir until melted.
8. Add the cooked pasta and stir until incorporated.
9. Pour everything into the 9x13 pan and top with bread crumbs.
10. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
11. Serves 6 people.