(Click on above video to see me demo this recipe on KSL Studio 5, Thursday, August 19, 2010)
It really is a crime! It's the 3rd of September and I haven't stopped at my favorite fruit stand to pick up any amazingly yummy Utah peaches. More importantly, I haven't had the chance to sink my teeth into the most amazing peach pie ever! I can't remember the last time I allowed this to happen.
FRESH PEACH PIE
(This is an original recipe from my sister Jen Uibel)
¼ cup lemon juice
3 cups fresh sliced peaches
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons Butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond flavoring (My sister prefers almond, I prefer vanilla.)
1. Toss the lemon juice and peaches with 1/2 cup sugar.
2. Allow to macerate (set) for one hour in the refrigerator.
3. Drain fruit and save one cup of the juice. If there isn't 1 cup of juice, add enough water or juice to make 1 cup. (If I need to, I use peach nectar or apple juice.)
4. In a sauce pan melt butter and cornstarch to make a rough.
5. Add the juice, ½ cup sugar, salt, and flavoring.
6. With a wire whisk blend until well mixed.
7. Bring to a boil stirring until thick.
8. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly; about 5-10 minutes.
9. Add the fruit and pour into a 10” prepared pie shell. Chill for 3 hours or overnight.